Mintz Law Firm
Being involved in a motorcycle accident can result in serious and life-changing injuries. Not only can you suffer severe injuries, but you may also be left with significant financial and emotional burdens. As a result, you’ll likely need to pursue a personal injury claim against the at-fault driver who caused the accident. However, motorcycle riders can find it challenging to recover fair compensation after an accident as a result of negative biases.
At Mintz Law Firm, we understand the unique challenges that motorcyclists face on the road and during the insurance claim process, and we are dedicated to protecting your rights and helping you get the compensation you deserve. Our team of experienced lawyers has helped countless clients recover from their injuries and get their lives back on track. We are committed to fighting for your rights, holding negligent parties accountable, and ensuring that you receive the best possible outcome for your case.
What Goes Into Determining the Value of a Motorcycle Accident Claim?
The losses and damage caused by a motorcycle accident claim can be severe and potentially catastrophic. However, every accident is different and unique. Therefore, the value of a motorcycle accident claim depends on the specifics of your motorcycle accident claim. There are several elements that are considered when determining the value of a motorcycle accident claim. Some factors that can affect the value of your claim include:
- Medical expenses: This includes all medical expenses related to the accident, including emergency room visits, hospital stays, surgery, medication, physical therapy, and ongoing medical care.
- Lost wages: If you were unable to work because of your injuries, you can claim lost wages. This includes both past and future lost wages.
- Pain and suffering: This type of damage refers to physical pain, emotional distress, and mental anguish caused by the accident.
- Property damage: If your motorcycle or other property was damaged in the accident, you can claim the cost of repairs or replacement.
- Liability: Liability refers to who is at fault for the accident. If the other party is found to be at fault, you may be entitled to additional damages.
- Comparative negligence: If you are found to be partially at fault for the accident, your damages may be reduced.
- Insurance coverage: The amount of insurance coverage available can also affect the value of your claim.
The value of a motorcycle accident claim is determined by several factors, including medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, property damage, liability, comparative negligence, and insurance coverage. A Wheat Ridge motorcycle accident attorney can help you determine the true value of your claim and negotiate with insurance companies to ensure that you receive fair compensation.
How Colorado’s Modified Comparative Negligence May Impact Your Motorcycle Accident Claim in Wheat Ridge
Colorado is a modified comparative negligence state, which means that if you are determined to be partially at fault for the car or motorcycle accident, your damages may be reduced.
Here's how comparative negligence works in Colorado:
- Determining fault: The first step in any motorcycle accident claim is to determine fault. This can be done through an investigation, witness statements, police reports, and other evidence.
- Assigning fault and reducing damages: Once fault has been determined, the percentage of fault is assigned to each party. For instance, if you are found to be 30% at fault for the accident and the other party is 70% at fault, your damages may be reduced by 30%.
- Recovery: As long as you are less than 50% at fault for the accident, you can still recover damages. If you are 50% or more at fault, you will not be able to recover damages.
It’s important to note that even if you don’t share any of the fault for the accident, insurance adjusters are quick to use comparative negligence as a way to protect their own profits.
Motorcycle riders are often considered inherently reckless and careless because of their chosen mode of transportation. As a result, insurance companies make it difficult for motorcycle riders to recover fair compensation. A Wheat Ridge motorcycle accident attorney can help you navigate the legal process, push back against negative biases, and ensure that you receive fair compensation.
Do You Need an Attorney After a Motorcycle Accident?
It is not required by law to have a Wheat Ridge motorcycle accident attorney for a motorcycle accident claim in Colorado, but it can be beneficial to have one. An attorney can provide several benefits after a motorcycle accident. Here are some ways a motorcycle accident attorney in Wheat Ridge can help:
- Investigate the accident: An attorney can investigate the accident and gather evidence to support your claim. This includes gathering witness statements, reviewing police reports, and examining medical records.
- Determine liability: An attorney can determine who is at fault for the accident. This is important because the at-fault party is responsible for paying for damages.
- Handle negotiations with insurance companies: Insurance companies often try to settle claims quickly for a lower amount than you deserve. An experienced attorney can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf and help you get the compensation you deserve.
- Evaluate the value of your claim: An attorney can help you determine the true value of your claim. This includes calculating medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and property damage.
- Represent you in court: If your case goes to court, an attorney can represent you in front of a judge and jury.
A Wheat Ridge motorcycle accident lawyer can provide several benefits after a motorcycle accident. By hiring an attorney, you can help ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and damages.
Find a Wheat Ridge Motorcycle Accident Lawyer at Mintz Law Firm
Motorcycle accidents often result in serious injuries, and the aftermath of such an accident can be overwhelming and stressful. Don't let insurance companies take advantage of you after a motorcycle accident. Insurance companies are often more concerned with their bottom line than they are with your well-being, and they may try to pressure you into accepting a settlement that is less than what you are entitled to.
At Mintz Law Firm, our motorcycle accident lawyers can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve. We can advocate for your rights and fight to get you the maximum compensation for your claim. Contact our firm today to ensure that your legal rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. Reach out to schedule a consultation by filling out our contact form on our website or by calling (303) 462-2999.