Mintz Law Firm
There’s no question that rideshare services like Uber and Lyft have transformed transportation in Colorado. The rideshare industry has exploded in popularity over the past several years, perhaps because of the convenience, safety, and reliability of these apps. At the swipe of a finger, you can hail a car through your smartphone, and within minutes, you’re picked up and whisked off to your destination.
What happens, however, if you’re in an Uber or Lyft car and your vehicle gets into an accident that results in an injury? Who’s held responsible? If you’ve been injured in a rideshare accident in the Denver area, the experienced Colorado Uber and Lyft accident lawyers at Mintz Law Firm can help you navigate your way through filing a legal claim and recovering the compensation you deserve.
Who’s Held Liable after a Rideshare Accident in Colorado?
If you were injured as a rideshare passenger or hit by a rideshare driver, your case may involve several potentially liable parties with insurers that will fight to pay as little as possible for your damages. Matters become even more complicated when you consider that most ridesharing companies don’t employ their drivers. Instead, they’re considered independent contractors, which means you might not be able to sue Uber or Lyft for a car accident involving one of their drivers. However, you can still get compensation for your injuries.
In general, liability in an Uber or Lyft accident will fall upon whoever is responsible for the accident. This could be the rideshare driver, another driver, a pedestrian, a bicyclist, or any number of other parties. While that might seem relatively straightforward, the insurance rules for compensation can be confusing for everyone involved. As a passenger in a rideshare vehicle, you can rest assured knowing that you will not incur liability for the accident unless you somehow interfered with the driver or vehicle in some way.
As a passenger, the rideshare company’s third-party liability coverage would likely apply to your accident. However, dealing with insurance companies is rarely easy, and in most cases, insurance companies prefer to look for any reason to deny a claim or reduce a payout. Your chances of success with an insurance claim will increase when you secure legal representation from an experienced Denver rideshare accident attorney.
Steps to Take after a Uber or Lyft Accident in Denver
In general, you should approach the accident as you would if it were your own vehicle and you were the driver. This includes the following steps:
- Call the police and emergency medical services. First and foremost, seek medical attention for anyone who’s been injured, including yourself. It’s important that you request medical attention immediately, even if you feel fine as symptoms of many injuries don’t appear right away. You should also make sure to request a police officer to the scene so they can report the accident and have the roads cleared, if necessary.
- Take a screenshot of the rideshare app on your phone. This can support your claim for compensation by proving that you were in a ridesharing vehicle at the time of the accident.
- Gather information from everyone involved. Get the names, license plates, phone numbers, and insurance information from all parties involved, including other passengers, witnesses, and drivers of both vehicles.
- Obtain your driver’s insurance information. Acquire the Uber or Lyft driver’s insurance information, as it will be needed for your claim. You shouldn’t assume that the rideshare company will handle everything.
- Document the scene. If you can, use your phone to take pictures of the scene, including damage to your vehicle or injuries you sustained. You may also benefit from writing down what happened leading up to and during the accident so that you’re less likely to forget important details.
Perhaps most importantly, it's vital that you get in touch with an expert Denver rideshare accident attorney who will best be able to help you understand Colorado’s often confusing rideshare accident laws and execute a strategy that will most effectively help you navigate the claims process.
Contact the Expert Denver Uber and Lyft Rideshare Accident Attorneys at Mintz Law
If you’ve been injured in a rideshare accident and wish to pursue an injury claim against the at-fault party, consider reaching out to the qualified personal injury lawyers at Mintz Law Firm. Our firm is composed of a team of injury law experts who are passionate about providing attentive and honest representation to a variety of accident victims. We believe in treating our clients with the respect and empathy they deserve and will work tirelessly to protect your rights.
With over 150 years of combined experience, the car accident attorneys at Mintz Law Firm understand the ins and outs of Colorado personal injury law and will aim for the best results possible. For a free consultation, call (303) 462-2999 or complete our online contact form today.