Can a Person’s Insurance Carrier Increase Their Rates If They Make a MedPay/UM/UIM Claim?

Can a Person’s Insurance Carrier Increase Their Rates If They Make a MedPay/UM/UIM Claim?

Getting into a car accident is a jarring and stressful experience. An accident can be even more challenging to deal with if the other driver is uninsured or if you were at fault for the accident. Fortunately, Colorado has insurance coverage options such as MedPay, Uninsured Motorist (UM), and Underinsured Motorist (UIM) that can cover you in these situations. However, many drivers wonder if filing a claim under MedPay or UM/UIM will increase their insurance rates in the future.

What Are MedPay and UM/UIM, and What Do They Cover in Colorado?

MedPay and UM/UIM are insurance coverage options that ensure that your medical expenses are covered after an accident regardless of fault or if the driver was uninsured. Here are the different insurance options and what they cover below:


MedPay is a part of your insurance policy that covers the reasonable medical expenses following an auto accident regardless of who is at fault. MedPay ensures that your medical treatment is still covered by insurance, even if you were at fault for your injuries. Following Senate Bill 11 in 2009, insurance companies are now required to offer MedPay as part of their policies. Policyholders can choose to opt-out of MedPay in writing.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Insurance (UM/UIM)

UM/UIM is insurance coverage in Colorado that protects policyholders in the event of a hit-and-run or accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver. Your insurance company is required by law to offer this coverage. UM/UIM acts as insurance for an uninsured driver or a driver that has insurance, but their policy does not cover the extent of your injuries. This ensures that you can still receive compensation for your injuries if the driver was uninsured or did not have enough coverage. To opt-out of UM/UIM coverage, you must do so in writing.

Will My Insurance Rates Increase If I File a MedPay or UM/UIM Claim?

If you file a MedPay or UM/UIM claim after an accident, you can rest assured that your insurance company cannot legally raise your rates. According to regulation 5-2-12, insurance companies cannot increase premiums for claims paid under MedPay or uninsured motorist coverage. If you find yourself in a situation where you need to file a MedPay or UM/UIM claim, it is in your best interest to speak to an experienced attorney. Your attorney will ensure that your claim is error-free and protect your right to compensation for your injuries.

Partner with a Trusted Colorado Car Accident Attorney

If you were recently involved in an auto accident in Colorado, the experienced attorneys at  Mintz Law Firm are here to help. Our trusted car accident lawyers know the ins and outs of Colorado law and will work tirelessly to ensure you receive compensation for the full value of your claim. The skilled legal team at Mintz Law Firm has over 150 years of combined experience and has dedicated their careers to protecting accident victims’ rights across Colorado. Call us today at (303) 462-2999 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free and confidential consultation.

Find Out if We Can Help

Contact Us