When you have suffered an injury on private property, you have the right to file a claim and seek compensation for the suffering and damage you’ve endured. Slip and fall accidents in Colorado happen often, and injured individuals have two years to claim the date of the accident. After a slip and fall, a personal injury attorney at Mintz Law Firm can help you recover compensation for the damage and injuries you endured due to the liable party’s negligence and fault.
Falls account for around 8 million hospital emergency room visits, while slip and fall accidents account for over 1 million visits each year. Many falls occur on private property because of a lack of maintenance, dangerous conditions, and other factors. Any areas that are commercial and residential private property and lead to an individual’s injury on that property can be used in a premise liability lawsuit to recover damages for injured persons.
Here are some conditions that increase danger and risks of falls:
- Broken or damaged sidewalks
- Steep driveways
- Lack of or broken handrails and fences
- Poor lighting conditions
- Cluttered areas or situations that block access
- Defects in structuring
- Other conditions and hazards
Property owners, companies, and businesses may be held liable for any injuries and accidents on their property. Proof of negligence may be provided by lack of maintenance, lack of safety measures, and other residential or commercial property responsibility aspects.
When you’ve suffered a slip and fall accident, whether indoors or outside, the type of injuries you endure is dependent on various factors. Weather conditions, dangerous conditions, and hazardous areas can contribute to how an accident occurs and the injuries involved.
Below are some of the most common injuries in a slip and fall accident:
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain or head injuries
- Broken or fractured bones
- Muscle injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Internal injuries
When the conditions are preventable and result from neglect, injured individuals can seek compensation. A skilled slip and fall and premises liability attorney can help you recover damages and compensation for the short and long-term injuries sustained after the accident.
Under premises liability, property owners and related parties may be held liable for injuries that occur on their property. Additionally, Colorado’s Premises Liability Act permits injured individuals to compensate for damages and physical injuries while on private property. Under the premise of liability laws, ‘types of persons’ are considered when one is injured on private property.
- Invitee: A person from a business or business dealings invited on the property. Failure to warn or disclose any dangers to someone invited on the property may result in negligence and liability on the owner’s part.
- Licensee: The owner invites someone for social purposes or reasons unrelated to a business. Any guests injured on private property can seek compensation through the owner’s homeowner’s insurance or liable party.
- Trespasser: A person who is not invited or expected to be in private property; therefore, property owners may not be liable for warning the individual of dangers, especially if they are unexpected.
- Children: If children are injured on private property, liability and negligence can be proven when there is an unreasonable risk of injury that the owner failed to warn or address, along with other requirements.
Suffering injuries may be stressful and worrisome, especially when medical bills and expenses are adding up due to the injury. Seeking a skilled lawyer and filing a claim for premise liability in personal injury can help you seek the compensation owed to you to help you in your recovery.
After you have been injured on private property, you can take steps to seek compensation. Without a claim, you will be responsible for covering all your medical expenses and out-of-pocket bills. Regardless of the severity of your injuries, or the aspects of your case, an attorney can help you and offer the best legal advice. Steps to take after suffering an injury on private property include:
- Seek immediate medical attention
- File a claim and gather evidence
- Hire a personal injury attorney
Many people ignore the severity of their injuries or fear having to undergo a lawsuit after a slip and fall accident or injury on private property. The damages and injuries may not present right away. Delaying medical attention can worsen any injuries they may have. Without an expert legal team on your case, you may miss out on receiving compensation or settlement for your injuries.
At Mintz Law Firm, our skilled attorneys are experienced and dedicated to helping clients succeed in their personal injury and premises claims. You deserve the best legal defense to recover rightful compensation if you have suffered injuries and effects of a slip and fall or injury on private property. Call our legal team at (303) 462-2999 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation.