Victims can be left with life-altering injuries and losses when a car crash occurs. Each year, there are over six million car accidents that are reported in the United States. After a car accident, there are steps that the drivers and passengers involved should take to ensure their safety and well-being regarding their claim.
Mintz Law Firm is a Colorado personal injury firm with experience helping clients who have been in damaging car crashes pursue the justice they are owed. It is crucial that car crash victims know how to get a police report and why they should get one.
The moments following a car accident can be overwhelming, disorienting, and even frightening for victims. After you have checked yourself and any passengers for severe injuries, it is crucial that you call the police. Not only is it important to call the police for your own safety, but it is also mandatory in most cases of car accidents in Colorado. When the police arrive at the accident scene, they will write an accident report by collecting the following information:
- A statement from both drivers involved of what they individually recall in the event
- A statement from any witnesses on what they saw occur
- A description of what the police have seen upon arriving at the scene of the accident
After a police report has been filed, it may take some time before you’re able to obtain a copy for your records. Without the copy of the police report as a crucial piece of evidence in your claim, it is important that you are covered by insurance in the event that you are unable to collect the damages owed to you in time to pay for any expenses associated with your injuries from the accident.
If you are having issues with obtaining the police report from your car accident due to extended wait times or a poorly written accident report, it can make it difficult for you to start making claims against the other party’s insurance carrier. That is why it is important to have medical coverage to protect yourself while you wait to begin filing your car accident claim. The options available for medical insurance protection includes:
- Required auto insurance: The minimum rates for Colorado auto insurance will protect each person for up to $25,000 worth of bodily injuries
- Health insurance: Instead of paying out of pocket for your medical bills, you can use your health insurance to help cover the costs of whatever medical treatment you may need to heal
- Med pay coverage: This is an add on option for auto insurance that provides an additional $5,000 for anyone hurt in a car accident
Protecting yourself is always a good idea when it comes to being insured. Even if your claims process goes smoothly without any issues, it is important to be prepared in the event that the opposite happens.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car crash in Colorado, you may be owed financial compensation for your injuries and losses. To get help with your claim, contact an experienced Colorado car crash lawyer.
Mintz Law Firm is a team of skilled personal injury lawyers with extensive experience helping car accident victims in Colorado. We are proud to offer clients the award-winning and dedicated service they deserve. To schedule a free consultation, contact us here or call (303) 462-2999.